Saturday 19 January 2013

les mis film review


The anticipation for 'Les Miserables' was high, with so much critical acclaim, the large amount of award nominations, and the all star cast. So all of these combined with my love for musicals made me very eager to watch the film.

However when I did watch I realised it was not a film with musical numbers, as I was expecting but instead a constant (nearly three hours) movie with almost every line being sung. I think this is the wrong way to go about the film, as it looses so much of of it's possible mainstream audience, as well as the intensity of the dramatic storylines.

Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman portray their characters exquisitely, whilst creating a great on screen relationship. As always Helena Bonham Carter portrays the eccentric outcast perfectly. I love the fact that Eponine actress, Samantha Barks was actually chosen from the stage play not just film, this is clear to see as she sings and acts as though she would if she were still on the stage. I felt Eddie Redmayne wasn't quite as good as the rest of the cast and his vibrato singing voice is less then up to scratch.
The film has a wonderfully sad storyline, but should have been adapted more to fit the film genre and appeal to more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment